Thursday, October 06, 2011

Times they are a-changin'

Sometimes, things change over night.

For example, here is last Friday:

And here is last Saturday:


Again!
Friday:


Saturday:



Donning every extra spare article of clothing we had in the car, we went for a walk on the beach.  Little fingers got cold and noses got a little damp.  It was chilly, man!

Lately I've been thinking about how my life has changed since we brought a baby into our lives.  Here's what I've come up with so far:
1.  You know those dreams where you have to be somewhere or do something and no matter what you do, you just can't seem to get there?  Like your body is moving through molasses or something?  Yeah.  That happens to me every day for realz now.
2.  I can't pass by a baby without craning my head to peer more closely and try to catch a whiff of that perfect baby scent.  It's kind of creepy to other people.
3.  I still hate doing laundry, but now I often smile a lot because I pull out a tiny baby sock.
4.  "Sleeping in" means that the baby slept an extra 15 minutes or so.  Or possibly, we ignored the baby for an extra 15 minutes or so while we tried to pretend like we were still asleep.
5.  My "alarm clock" makes me smile when I wake up, in spite of myself.  This alarm clock is a little voice on the monitor.  That little voice always wakes up yelling the latest word in the vocabulary.  Lately, my alarm clock goes something like this: *Rustle, rustle....rustle...tap...tick (those are the sounds of rolling around in the crib, then pulling up to standing on the sides)...taptap...HWARSE!  HORSHH!" (Several variations of "horse.")
6.  My friend Kristina told me that we wouldn't much miss going out like we used to, because instead we would be able to put the baby in the middle of the floor and watch her and laugh.  She was right.  Very right.
7.  Instead of washing just whites and darks, we now do whites, darks and pinks.  (Not kidding.)
8.  Half of the items in my home have the same Fisher Price smiley face on them.  It's weird.
9.  I am fully convinced that my brain operates with only half the power it did pre-baby.  I swear that when my baby was first conceived and that very first cell split in two, so did my brain.  Half of my brain is now fully devoted to my offspring 24/7, while the other half is devoted to all of the other tasks of life, such as eating, drinking, answering email in a timely fashion and remembering where I put my keys.  There just isn't enough power there.
10.  My heart can hold way more love than it ever did before.  The second my baby was born, my heart grew to 10 times the size it was before.  You know, like the Grinch.

Change is good.  I'm going to embrace it.  We're going to jump right into fall this year.


 
(Side note:  At Target today, Bean had Sweet Pea in absolute peals of laughter just because she was flipping her curls from side to side.  They were both laughing so hard that everyone around us was laughing, too.  Now I see why Sweet Pea thought it was so funny!)

2 comments:

  1. You can come over and smell my baby any time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, that picture of your mom and niece is just beautiful--such palpable love!

    You were totally made for motherhood, Taylor! I love reading about how much joy Waverly has brought you. Can you even imagine being at work full-time??

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are reviewed before publishing.