Monday, June 21, 2010

16ish Things

1. I hate cliches and bandwagons. I intentionally avoid certain books and movies if there is too much hype about them. Then I eventually give in, do/read/try whatever everyone was saying to do/read/try, and end up loving it. This happened with watermelon last week. Dang, this pregnant lady LOVES watermelon.

2. I am NOT a morning person. It is 12:04 pm and I have yet to remove myself from bed or put on not pajamas. My baby isn't either; she loves to keep me up at night and gets her second with right along with me about 11:30 pm.

3. My husband brought me a brownie in bed for breakfast. I love this man.

4. We can't seem to settle on a name for our baby. I am terrified that she is going to be like my family's Himalayan cat, Baby, who remained unnamed for two months and was dubbed "The Baby" in the meantime. She was finally named Cafe Au Lait, and registered as such, with the intention of being called Cafe. This never happened. She was always and forever Baby, until the day she died, which was 4 days before my wedding.

5. I am convinced Baby let herself die because she wasn't getting any attention since I was getting married. This was an impossible situation for a fluffy, beautiful, purebred cat. When we took her to the vet to be put to sleep, Dr. E, whom I teched for and was a mentor to me, said, "Oh my gosh, you're getting married on Saturday and Baby has to be put to sleep? It's like losing your childhood all at once!" I burst into sobbing tears.

6. We buried Baby in one of my pink Victoria's Secret gift boxes. I think of this every time I'm at a bachelorette party.

7. How did this turn into a post about my dead cat?

8. My niece wants to name the baby Babe. She gets mad whenever we suggest other names. For example:
Me- What should we name your baby cousin?
Her- It's a dirl baby!
Me- I know! What should we name her?
Her- Babe!
Me- Well, what about _____?
Her- No. I don lite _____. Babe.
Me- What about ______?
Her- No! Babe!
Me- Ok...what about ______?
Her, with a huge scowl- Babe.

Sheesh!

9. I am six months pregnant. How did that happen? I am finally in the "sweet spot" of pregnancy. Mine took a little longer to get here, but I haven't thrown up, gagged or dry-heaved in about a week and I haven't taken any anti-nausea medicine.

10. I didn't know the "sweet spot" included horrendous back pain, inability to stand for more than 15 minutes at a time, an obsessive-compulsive need to throw away everything I own, the end of sleeping for more than 3o minutes at a time, and exhaustion...yet I feel AMAZING compared to four weeks ago.

11. I have realized that I am never going to have a full night's sleep again, at least until this child is grown. Probably not even then.

12. It cracks me up to watch my belly move all over the place. I can't get enough of it. I can tell when she switches sides because my belly will stick up on that side. The other night I felt a twinge and went to rub it and realized there was a little lump here her foot was sticking straight up. Hilarious.

13. When I was about 5 or 6 weeks pregnant, I sat bolt upright in bed feeling like I was having an anxiety attack. I had fallen asleep thinking about the baby and had been dreaming about the baby. Nothing bad. The anxiety attack was because it dawned on me that I will never be able to think about anything else ever again. Like a piece of my mind is wholly attached to motherhood and can never, ever detach or even turn off. This totally freaked me out at first. Now I'm good with it.

14. Thus, each random point in this post is attached in some way to the baby. Except the ones about my dead cat, I guess.

15. Which is weird, because one time (way before I was ever pregnant or even married) I had this crazy dream where I had a baby girl (who had Lenny's eyes!) and I was holding her in my arms. All of a sudden she turned into a cat and jumped out of my arms and ran away.

16. Please tell me you're not reading anymore.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:23 PM

    HAHAHA. I just read the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:45 PM

    LOL. I read it. I cried a little about your cat. :( You WILL get a full night's sleep when the baby comes - I promise. It might not be in the first few weeks (if that happens, I hate you) but it WILL happen at some point. You definitely will never have the same brain you did before you got pregnant - it stays mushy. I love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are reviewed before publishing.