Monday, June 11, 2012

Money Money Money Money...Monday!


After nearly two years of hearing, "I don't know how you do it!" (it being living on one income so I can stay home with our baby) we finally decided to open up about how we're making it work, and here we are on week four!

So, how do we do it?  Let me recap my list: (click any line to see a link back to the original post)


And this week?
4.  We follow the advice of the Duggars: "Buy used and save the difference!"

My mom is responsible for teaching me to thrift and to yard sale.  I can remember being a little kid and taking my little $3 allowance out on a Saturday morning and choosing a new toy or some books at a yard sale with my mom.  I can also remember shuffling my feet around the first thrift store my mom found when I was thirteen and thinking it was super weird and awkward that we were there.  Then I found an Abercrombie and Fitch shirt I loved on a rack and the rest is history.

I don't know how our little family would make it if it weren't for thrift stores and yard sales.  Seriously.  I certainly wouldn't be home; I'd be working a 9-5.  If we can get it used, we do!  This is the tried-and-true trick of every thrifty, frugal family I know.  Plus, it's good for your pride!

I recently totaled up all of the money we've spent on all of the furniture in our house, and the grand total came out to less than three pieces from this bedroom set at Haverty's, including our TV.  Obviously our furniture isn't top of the line, but we like what we have and we have many a hilarious story from Craigslist adventuring.

It's fun finding diamonds in the rough, fixing them up and making them work in your home.  There is something really special about buying something used and making it your own with a fresh coat of paint or new upholstery.  And don't even get me started on clothes!  Sweet Pea's whole wardrobe is either handed down or thrifted.  Or, ok, Target clearance.

Always, always check for used before dropping a hunk of cash on something new.  Your money will go a lot further and you'll able to live on way less.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers! Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are reviewed before publishing.