Friday, May 04, 2012

Once upon a zoo

I don't think I can say it often enough.  I am so thankful for my "mommy friends."

I had a mild panic attack during my 7th month of pregnancy when I realized how much life was going to change.  I worried that I would lose all my friends.  I worried that I would have to make all new friends.  The idea of that transition overwhelmed me, even though I wasn't sure why.

Believe it or not, it wasn't true.  I didn't lose all my friends!  Sure, a lot of our relationships have changed a little.  Sure, there have been a few folks who just didn't really get "the kid thing" and we've kind of naturally drifted apart.  But as I've said before, all of our true friends have been incredible.  They love our baby and they are patient and kind and loving and interested in our and about our adventures in new parenting and it's wonderful.

But like everyone says, when you're home all day with a baby you need some friends who are also home.  Friends with babies.  Friends who can give you breastfeeding tips and who don't even miss a beat in your conversation when your kid starts screaming in the middle of Chick-Fil-A.  Friends who will stroller walk the mall just because and friends who you'll joke with that your kids are going to marry each other one day.

In the words, or should I say, in the words of one of my 5th grade chorus songs, "Make new friends, but keep the old.  One is silver and the other's gooold!"

I am thankful for my friends who go on mommy dates and talk about real life.  I am thankful for my mommy friends who don't think it's boring to talk about organizing the house.  I am thankful for my mommy friends who live down the street and who will just up and walk around the lake with us.  I am thankful for my mommy friends who go get frozen yogurt and laugh while we chase our kiddos around the block.  I am thankful for my mommy friends who will emergency babysit and my friends who will just drop by to play.  

These are all my new friends and I love them.  We are mostly friends through playgroup, the neighborhood and church and MOPS and we even have a little facebook group for those of us who stay home where we post things like, "Anyone want to go to the zoo?" and a bunch of people say "Absolutely!" even though it's during nap time and we'll be gone all day and we need sunscreen and we need to organize carpools.  Because these friends are awesome like that.

Anyway, I came here to put up a post about our trip to the zoo (in March!) and ended up here instead!  So here are some pictures of Sweet Pea the zoo.  With her friends.  Sweet Pea loves her little friends.  She lately asks for some of them by name and often asks, "Prhends?" (friends?) anytime we get in the car because she knows she just might be headed to have fun with the folks we love.  In fact, one of our friends had a bunch of us over today to play outside and eat snacks and run in the sprinkler.  Sweet Pea kept mentioning it all night, which was pretty adorable.

It was also pretty adorable how much she loved the zoo!  (How's that for a transition?)

Excited about alligators.  


He took pictures of the animals every chance he got!

 


She loved, loved, loved the "Mon-hees"


Our crew!

My old hat!

Tired, much?  Love the rosy cheeks.

See that sweet girl right there holding Sweet Pea?  I just realized as I was uploading these pictures that she is a perfect example of what I was just talking about.  That wonderful girl, P, is an old friend of my friend L's, and P had the day off from work so she came with all of us mommies and our babies for a day at the zoo.  We nicknamed her the baby whisperer.  She was so fun and helpful and genuinely loved all of kids.  Silver and Gold in action, baby!








Sweet Pea LOVES P!

 
You know what else is awesome?  When someone you were already friends with has a baby just four months after you.  Perfect!  Now if all my other old friends would just jump on the mommy train and join us...but no pressure or anything!  ;)  But seriously, you get to spend the day at the zoo instead of going to work.  C'mon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers! Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are reviewed before publishing.