Saturday, August 13, 2011

Music to my ears

My eyes, ears and heart beheld the two sweetest joys of life yesterday, and technology allowed me to capture them to share.

It is so beautiful to witness a room filled with mamas, babies, caregivers, mentors, volunteers and Young Life staff from all walks of life singing together about their individual worth in the eyes of God after a week of living fully together.  After a week of camp, everyone gathers in the club room for one last time, and this video is a little snippet of that time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; if you have never witnessed YoungLives camp, it needs to go on your bucket list, right next to seeing Venice before it sinks or the Grand Canyon at sunset or the pyramids in Egypt.  In short, it's breath-taking.  Oh, and it's adorable, because, well, there are like 124 babies around you at any given moment.      

After that, I drove home.  The drive should have taken 4 or 5 hours (max), but it took me eight.  Thank you, construction on 81.  I literally thought I would explode if I didn't find a bathroom, and they are few and far between in the mountains.  I also literally thought I would implode if I didn't have my baby in my hands soon.  

In other words, for about 4 hours I was simultaneously exploding and imploding.  I felt like Frodo on Mount Doom, except it was just some random mountain in PA, and instead of it raining ash and fire and gloom and woe, it was really pretty outside.  

(Stop telling me I'm hyperbolizing again, husband!)

I finally, finally, finally made it home.  For that last mile or so, my hands were all clammy and my heart was fluttering like I was going on a first date.  I was that excited to see my little family.  And while our roommate got a better reaction from the baby than I did when he got home an hour after me, she was still pretty happy to see me.  Girlfriend struggled a bit without her mama for a whole week, I hear-tell, but I think I was worse for the wear than she was.  My mother-in-law is a saint, and our little one sure does love her Groovy.

We all cuddled up and crashed in bed together at 9 pm, but not before my heart was filled with more sweet music.

Yum.  Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a lovely post, Taylor! I'm so glad that you were able to make it to Young Lives after all, and that your little Sweet Pea made it through the week well. What a gift that she has a mother who gives of herself so generously!


I love hearing from my readers! Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are reviewed before publishing.