Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Girls' Weekend

In exactly one month, he will be done.  Finished.

He will have completed 60 grad school credit hours in 20 months, all while working full-time and juggling a part-time job or two or three.  Oh, and he became a dad along the way somewhere.

This means that we will actually see him once in a while, this husband and father of this wife and that baby.    

GLORY BE.

But before then, we have what will probably be one of the most difficult of all the months to get through first.  Our month of insanity has started, and with the hubby being gone all weekend speaking at a retreat.  This meant that the baby and I were left to our own devices for an entire weekend.  It also meant that I had to do everything in my power to keep busy so that I wouldn't lose my mind.  It also meant that I came home late at night to a dark and empty house two nights in a row with a baby in tow but opened the door and yelled, "HEY BABE I'M HOME!" in case there were any burglars hiding in my bushes.  I tried to make my tone sound like "Babe" was my huge, ruthless, gun-toting husband with brass knuckles who was waiting at home in the dark for me.

Anyway, it was direly important for me to keep myself busy this weekend.  My week before had been kinda rough from being sick and allergyish and tired and bored at home, and I knew I would lose my mind if Sweet Pea and I stayed home all weekend.  So we didn't.

We went Friday night to watch the musical at the local high school.  So many of our Young Life "kids" were starring in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, so we had to go see it.  My amazing child sat through the whole. entire. show.  I know.  She's incredible.  We sat literally front and center, and she sat in my lap mesmerized.  She took a break to eat dinner on the floor in front of me in her car seat, the resumed watching the show and yelling "HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!" to all of the Oompa Loompas.  She loved her some Oompa Loompa, man.  I forgot my camera, so here's my first foray with the camera on my cell phone.

My sweet friend, M.  

Oompa Loompa face.

J being Violet.  Can't believe this girl is graduating.

Such an amazing show.

I've seen approximately 123489 high school plays.
This one beat all.

I mean, what?  They even flew!

  
Sweet Pea took a little nap with her bottle at the end, then woke up in time to meet all of the stars.  Then she fell asleep in her stroller during the walk from the front doors to the car.  That might be some kind of baby-falling-asleep record.

We got up bright and early the next morning to head to T and N's for Mama Pancake Palooza, which I forgot my camera for again.  Geez, photograph much?  Our hubbies were away on the same retreat, and our other friend and her little one came to hang out, too.  Goodness do I love those girls and their girls.  T and I are live these creepily similar lives.  Ever have a friend you feel just gets you?  The kind where you start explaining something and just totally stop because even on the phone you can just sense her nodding and going, "Yep, I hear ya!" Well, that's T for me!  I can't wait for our girls to be just a little bit bigger so that they can really play together.  Right now they pretty much just look at each other.

I headed over to spend the afternoon with my parents', which is always a nice reprieve from real life.  (See my header and you'll know what I mean.  Why can't I still just live there with them?  I mean, with my husband and baby, of course.  Why isn't that socially acceptable?!)  Sweet Pea and I dropped by a nearby church that evening to see another of my sweet YL girls give her testimony.  She was amazing.  I am so proud of her.

Next, we drove up to Frederick to a cafe to see some dear friends perform in their CD release show.  I love these guys.  Is there anything cuter in the world than a husband and wife duo?  Only if they are Caitlin and Zach.  They are seriously the cutest couple ever and amazing singers and songwriters to boot.   Sweet Pea wants to be just like Caitlin when she grows up.

  

  

"Whatever, I'm a baby, I can do what I want."

See?  She wants to be just like her.

"Uh, guys?  I'm a baby and it's like 10:30."

"Mama, can I dye my hair pink, please"
Absolutely.
My poor exhausted baby may have beaten her own record for falling asleep once we got in the car!  We drove home and I did what any "single for a night" girl would do; watched re-runs of Scrubs on Netflix while drinking a milkshake.  It was incredible.

I had every intention of taking us both to church in the morning, but apart from waking once to nurse, the baby and I slept until 10:30.  It was amazing.  We had breakfast, putzed around and straightened up, then enjoyed a lovely visit from some more wonderful friends.      

  

  

  

  

  

  
I've said before that one of the great unexpected joys of my life has been watching friends of mine become parents.  Well, now added bonus to that has been watching our babies play together, especially when those babies are just so darn cute.  It's so fun to watch these tiny people enjoy each other, figure each other out.  Admittedly, it also makes me feel so old!  I feel like it was just yesterday that I was hanging out with my parents and their friends' kids.  

Remember how your parents would have dinner parties and you'd play downstairs with all the other kids and think how what the parents were doing was super boring and how you were so lucky to get to play with the kids?

So we made it.  We sorely need a weekend away with the daddy, but for now, we sure did have a lot of fun on our Girls' Weekend.  It certainly was all the better though when that Daddy came home.  Some of us were so excited we had to roll around on the floor and rock like crazy.  Well, ok, maybe just one of us.
  

   

  

  
 
Come what may, last month of grad-school craziness.  We can take you, and we're not going down easy.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Taylor, what a fun post! I absolutely love the pictures of Liza and Waverly!! So incredibly sweet. I wish that we could have stayed and chatted longer. I felt like we just got started and we had to head home! We should catch up some more on the phone soon.

    I'm so excited that Lenny is so close to finishing. What a huge relief it will be when he finishes his final exam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Taylor, what a fun post! I absolutely love the pictures of Liza and Waverly!! So incredibly sweet. I wish that we could have stayed and chatted longer. I felt like we just got started and we had to head home! We should catch up some more on the phone soon.

    I'm so excited that Lenny is so close to finishing. What a huge relief it will be when he finishes his final exam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:12 PM

    *tear* I've been thinking about us lately (you & me) and I thank God for you, our friendship, and the awesome similarities we share. :)

    LOVE YOU!

    P.S. Check your phone.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are reviewed before publishing.