Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Happy PIZZA Day

Yesterday was my birthday.  I turned 27.  Yikes.

Anyway, what better way to celebrate than with- wait for it- PIZZA.  Gluten-free pizza, that is!

I love pizza.  Who doesn't love pizza?  If you don't love pizza you are like that random kid on the playground who, when asked her favorite candy, goes, "Skittles!" and everyone glances around awkwardly and the kid goes, "What?  I don't like chocolate..." and everyone goes, "WHAT?!  NO!??!  HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!!" and deep down you know that kid said it just because she wanted attention and secretly she loves chocolate.  I mean, Skittles have their place for sure, but next to a Snickers or a Milky Way?  C'mon.  Who are you kidding?

(Irony break:  I recognize that my adult onset Celiac Disease and ensuing gluten-free diet makes me the grown-up version of that kid.  Sigh.)

When my hubby said that a friend told him about a pizza place that had just started selling gluten-free pizza, I was sold.  Well, check that.  I looked at him and said, "Um...well...I don't know...we've already eaten out twice this month and we took the babies to the new ice-cream place and I just don't know if we can fit it in the budget and I'm going to have to see if I can make up for it in the grocery budget in the next few days..." and he cut me off and said it was ok because I only have a birthday once a year.  Besides, he'd gotten the twinkle in his eye that can only mean lots of cheeses and cured meats are in our immediate future so all hope of keeping remotely close to our food budget was already out the window.

And, yeah!  I only turn 27 once!

You know what?  It was SO worth it.  It was the best gluten-free pizza crust I've had yet, besides the one at a little place called Bi-Bop in Milan, Italy.  But I think the Italians have an unfair advantage!  I adore Uno's sauce, but their crust is only so-so and they are kind of expensive.  This place certainly wasn't cheap, but a 14" pizza was about $15, which is the same as what they charge for regular gluten-full pizzas.

I can't tell you how awesome it was to hold my own pizza box.  Seriously.  A pizza box!  It may have entered my mind to frame it.
  

The New Yorker- Sausage, pepperoni, onion and mushroom.
(The mushrooms were a love-gift for my hubby.)

Bacon and Tomato.  My favorite!
We had scrumptious baby on the side.
You'll have to make that yourself, though.

 We ordered two pizzas because we are used to GF pizzas being small.  We didn't realize they were the same size as the regular pizzas!  We could have been more than full with one for the two of us to share.  It was ok, it just meant pizza for lunch today!

The place doesn't have any seating, so we had to take our pizzas home.  We shared a piece in the car!

Pizza exuberance! 
So help me, if I'm going to eat my pizza at home, I'm going to do it in style.  As in, wearing my three-sizes-too-big polka-dot robe and cuddled with a blanket and watching tv.  Notice my coat on the side?  Our couch is right next to the front door.  I literally threw off my coat and high-tailed it upstairs to change into yoga pants, my Magnolia Bakery T and the robe.

It's my party and I'll be lazy if I want to!

So, spread the world...if you live anywhere near Damascus, MD, Pasquales Deli if the place to be for gluten-free!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers! Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are reviewed before publishing.