Tuesday, February 22, 2011

27 Fings

Today, I am 27.

27.

How did that happen?

It's kind of freaking me out.

So, in honor of well, me, I thought I would make a list of 27 interesting "fings" about me.  "Fing" means thing in toddler-speak.  As in,

"Nana, what is dat fing?"

"Mama, you know dat fing?"

"Taylor, I want dat fing over der!"

(Apparently toddler-speak is pretty similar to redneck-speak.  As in, "Dat der bass is delicious.  Almost as delicious as dat der deer.)

I have no idea what I'm even talking about anymore.

So!  27 fings.  Here goes:

1.  I don't know that much about rednecks.  See above.

2.  I spend a lot of time with a toddler.  See post(s) below.

3.  My dog's name comes from one of my favorite all-time movies.  Bonus points if you can name the dog.  Double bonus points if you can name the movie!

4.  One of our cats was supposed to be named Aslan, for one of my favorite series of books, The Chronicles of Narnia.  However, he is so lame (read: scared of everything) that we felt Aslan just didn't fit.  He is a Maine Coon, but my hubby kept referring to him as "My Man Coon," so we started calling him Manly.  Manly is the one who pees on my stuff.  Manly is also the nickname of a character in another of my favorite series of books, Almanzo Wilder from the Little House books.   I also happen to be distantly related to Almanzo Wilder.

5.  I'm pretty sure the aforementioned information just changed your life.

6.  I was completely certain I wanted to marry my husband.  I did not once waver or hesitate or question that decision while we were engaged, nor have I since.  I felt the same way about becoming a mom.  However, I am so completely indecisive in every other matter in life that I have a pile of picture frames sitting in our office yet to be hung because I can't decide exactly how they should hang in my living room.

7.  The gluten food I miss the most is the crispy chicken sandwich from Chick-Fil-A.

8.  My current favorite TV show is Modern Family.  I relate a lot to Claire.  Except for the wild past.  And the three kids.  And the running.  Mostly not the running.

9.  I buy the bulk-size, 5-lb bag of Nestle Semi-Sweet Morsels at Costco regularly for "baking."  I really just eat them by the handful.

10.  I love Dove Dark Chocolate.  Like, literally.  I love it.

11.  Actually, I just love chocolate in general.  Except frosting.  I don't like frosting.  Unless it's butter cream!  Or unless my sister made it.  She makes good frosting! 

12.  The smell of a bookstore gives me happy, happy shivers.  Mmm.  Books.  However, almost all of my reading comes from the library or loans from friends.  I learned early on that buying books means having boxes of books to haul during a move and that gives me unhappy shivers.  Once I own a book it is almost impossible for me to get rid of it.  We just had such happy memories together!

13.  I was going to write my favorite book, but I can't decide on one.  See #6.  But triple bonus points if you can name one or several of them!  Gazillions of points if you can name another of my favorite movies that's not the movie above!

14.  My favorite book to teach was The Giver.  And Romeo and Juliet.  And The Hobbit.  See, I just can't choose favorites!

15.  27 is a lot of fings.

16.  I wish that my wardrobe could be made up of mainly Anthropologie and Free People clothes, Lucky Brand jewelry and awesome boots.  This will never happen because I will never be able to justify spending that kind of money on clothes and accessories.

17.  We almost moved to New Orleans.  I don't regret that we didn't move there, but I sometimes wonder what our lives would be like right now if we were there.  It would definitely not be snowing right now, like it is here.  And my toes probably wouldn't be cold.

18.  I can't stand being around someone else brushing his or her teeth, and my gag reflex is actively on any time I have to brush the teeth of a little kid.  The only way I can do it is if my eyes are averted and I don't breathe.  If I ever babysat your child, chances are their teeth weren't brushed very well.  Sorry.

19.  I love a clean house.  It's usually not very clean, because I love to play with my baby and cook and eat and go outside and sleep and watch tv and take pictures and edit pictures and read and blog more.

20.  I achingly miss the "horse world."  It was my life for 10 years.  I haven't ridden now since before the blizzards of 2010.  I refused to ride while pregnant because it's so unsafe.

21.  Are you seriously still reading?  Wow!

22.  I have an obsession with names.  I love names and their significance.  I have all of our future children and pets named already.  I have to stop coming up with names because I seriously love names so much that I will probably end up with seven kids just to use my names.

23.  I go by my middle name.  My first name starts with W.  So does my mom's.  I really wanted our first baby to have a name that started with W.  It's really hard to find W names.

24.  I wanted to be a veterinarian for a long time.  Then I wanted to be a wedding planner.  Then I became a teacher.  I think it would be fun to be a realtor, or a travel agent, or a counselor for teen moms, or a doula, or a travel coordinator (which I'm currently doing; more on that later!) or a therapeautic riding instructor.  There are still lots of things I want to be!  See #6.

25.   I think that wall paint colors and haircuts are two areas where you shouldn't try to micromanage.  Be bold and work with what you get.  When I feet antsy I usually go get a haircut.  I like to go in with a picture and say, "Cut it sort of like this.  Or you can do whatever, just make it fun."  Then I like to go home and play with the new cut until I like it.

26.  If I could go anywhere in the world right now for free, it would be New Zealand.  And Figi.  Actually, I'd pretty much go anywhere.  Someday I want to live abroad for a bit.

27.  My life is truly full and wonderful.  There are a lot of challenges, sure, but the tough stuff only makes the good stuff better.  This past year was one of the hardest and most incredible years of my life all at once.  I'm a little terrified and pretty excited about 27.
Being 26 was awfully good.

Awfully, awfully good.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:19 PM

    #6- I saw a neat special on Rachel Ray once...take a large piece of paper, the size of the space on wall you want to fill w/ frames...Then, trace frames on paper, hold up to wall, & repeat until you like what you see! I think you might also be able to nail through paper to make holes where they need to be, etc...?

    #14- Also, love The Giver & am just wrapping it up with my 8th graders!

    -melissa glass

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are reviewed before publishing.