Monday, January 24, 2011

Gluten-Free Week(ish)

There's been a lot going on lately.  So much that I haven't even written about Christmas, which was almost a month ago.

This is why I love blogging.  It's like scrapbooking, except no little pieces to cut up or papers to buy or stickers to (shudder) find a place to store.  I don't have to remember to print my photos.  And best of all, it always feels done, a beautiful little book of our lives all in one place and complete for the moment.  In the moment.  And let's be honest...if I started a scrapbook, I would never finish it, and then I would feel somehow guilty that I hadn't finished it, and then I'd avoid finishing it because it would feel like a failure, and then I'd feel stupid that I'm putting so much weight on a silly scrapbook, and then I'd feel like a failure and stupid, and then eventually I'd get fed up and forget the thing ever existed until I came upon it at the bottom of a drawer and then the whole cycle would start over again.  That's just how I roll.

Anyway, those are also some of the reasons I don't like to commit to "projects."  Sure, I do them all the time anyway, but in the spirit of the fact that I have a needy four-month-old and a house that still resembles a crack house, this little project is going to last a weekish.  Or, that is, until it's done.  Or I'm bored with it.  Or you're bored with it.  Whatever comes first!

It's Gluten-Free Week(ish) here on Fields of Green, folks!

Have you wondered why everything you pick up at the store lately says "gluten-free" on it?  Why so many people seem to be eliminating wheat from their diets?  Have you looked that these breadless- wonders and thought, "How do they survive?  What do they eat?  Where do they come from?  How are their lives worth living?"  Or how about, "What in tarnation is gluten, anyway?"

One time, I mentioned to someone that I was gluten-free, and they paused, then said something like, "Well, we weren't going to eat a whole lot anyway..."  My quizzical look earned a, "You said glutton-free?"   

Gluten vs. glutton.  Two very different words.  Although I guess I like to think that I'm glutton-free in addition to being gluten-free!

Anyway, I am going to try to answer those questions here this week.  One, because I think a lot of folks need to understand this whole thing a little better; two, because I'm a little tired of talking about it around the dinner table; and three, because I'd like to have a neat little resource all put together for anyone who needs it.  Google "gluten" and you're going to get overwhelmed fast.

So, I'm going to answer lots of questions.  I'll cover about a topic a day for about a week(ish.)  Do you have any questions for me?  If so, send 'em to me in the comments and I'll try to answer them as best I can! 

Off to glutton out on the gluten-free bread I just made.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers! Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are reviewed before publishing.