Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Good thing I was a baby in 1984 because I didn't have to do my hair

I have a little eccentricity.  It is because of this:

That is my mom, and the little one is me.  My mom had just given birth.  No, seriously.  JUST given birth.  Like as in she hasn't even been up or showered yet. 

It's ok, you can hate her.

She defends herself this way:  She woke up that morning, took a shower and got dressed and ready (full makeup and hair) for her prenatal checkup.  As she was getting ready, she noticed some trickling and realized her water had broken.  It wasn't a lot, so she went to the doctor appointment and they sent her to the hospital.  Back then, they wanted the baby born within 12 hours of the water breaking.  After a super intense day of pitocin and no epidural until the very, very end, so late that it didn't really take effect until after, I was born at 8 pm on the dot.  

She says it was a different time.  Ladies of the early 80s were always made up.  You didn't dream of leaving the house without looking like you stepped off the set of Dynasty.  She says she'd gotten up and gotten ready like it was any other day. 

Whatever, Mom.  Take your "Reasons Why I Still Look Perfect After 12 Hours of Labor and Delivery" and throw 'em out the window.  For the record, my hair was still wet when I went to my appointment yesterday.  Although I did put on makeup.  My mom can just do things with a certain amount of style and grace that few others can.

This is more my style: 

Me as a baby
You know, laid-back and kickin' it.  With snacks.  But I have this huge fear of being totally hideous after giving birth, because the fact of the matter is that I know I won't care at ALL in the moment, but then later on I'll look at the pictures and see the "I've Been to You-Know-Where and Back" look I'm sporting and go, "Yeesh."  Then, since I will have a newborn and no sleep I'll look in the mirror and go "Yeesh..." again because, let's be honest, I'm not planning on wearing anything but PJs for the next 3 months.  And I'm definitely not straightening my hair.  I'm afraid I'm going to turn into one of those stay-at-home-moms people look at and go, "Oh gosh...she uh...she kinda let herself go..."


You can go ahead and fill out an application for me now for What Not to Wear. 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:04 PM

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:05 PM

    Oh.my.word. I love you more than I already do for this post. Yes, you won't care in the moment and those yoga pants will feel like heaven after you deliver her. I'm going to hate your mom for a few minutes for her beauty post-delivery.

    P.S. I took the longest shower of my life, put on a full face of make up, and straightened my hair before I had Norah. None of that was in tact at 4:10 pm on March 2nd. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are reviewed before publishing.