Saturday, March 13, 2010

1000 Days

Today I have been married to a boy for 1000 days.  

This boy. 


1000 days.

It seems like it should be a lifetime, and in some ways it has.  We've grown, changed, stayed the same, moved, experienced new jobs, bought a house, fought, made up, made new friends, kept old friends, cried, welcomed life, grieved death, cried more, laughed even more, traveled, yelled, whispered, shared, given, panicked and trusted.  But even though we've started a new day together 1000 times, we haven't even been married for three years.

Marriage has fascinated me from the beginning.  I didn't really get the whole "two become one" thing before I was married.  It amazes me the way every fiber of who you are can become so intricately connected with another person, who, at times, is actually still a total mystery.  And yet also so not a mystery.  I've learned that in some ways, boys are a lot more predictable than I thought.  They mean what they say.   That's one of my favorite things about my boy. 

I will never forget the day my mom sort of softly shook her head and said, "Sometimes I feel sorry for you girls."

"Why, Mama?

"Because I just don't know how you'll ever find a man a good as your Daddy."

That stuck with me because I knew it was true.  I was probably 14 at the time.  I had a hard-to-attain example set for me, but by the graciousness of God, I married a good man.  A really good man.   A man whose goodness kind of takes my breath away at times.  A man who loves very, very well; not just me, but others, too.  He is selfless and giving.  He is passionate and kind.  He is funny and smart.  He is reliable and safe.  He provides and protects.  He doesn't always plan ahead very well, but I can always trust that he'll do whatever it takes no matter the circumstance. 

In our first few months of marriage, I remember being surprised by just how safe and secure I felt.  I felt somewhat surrounded by a glow of newlywed happiness, but there was this added measure of peace that reminded me of my childhood.  I think adolescence and college make you believe that you have to fend for yourself, and I relished having someone to share with in the intricacies of life.  My husband has done an amazing job of establishing trust in our marriage from day one.  I think that has a lot to do with his natural care and concern for others.  I think that trust has flourished over these many days into a foundation that will be hard to shake.

An older woman-friend of mine once leaned across the table at the restaurant where we were having lunch, looked earnestly into my eyes and said, "Taylor.  There is nothing better than this."  She was referring to family, and having a person to share life.

She was right.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely, lovely post! I hope you share it with your man:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this post and your momma's quote and her obvious love for her man. I'm gonna use that one too! I say that all the time about my kids..."I'm sooo lucky" and "I feel sorry for other mom's (who can't have kids as cute as mine)" but I'm definately gonna have to use that with my husband too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:26 PM

    This post makes me love EVEN MORE that you blog your feelings. :) I hope that the next 1000 days are even MORE fabulous than the first. Isn't God good to give us such wonderful men who love Him and love us? *happy sigh*

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are reviewed before publishing.