Friday, May 08, 2009

"Nothing Would Be Impossible"

W found out late Tuesday night that a Young Life friend of my husband’s (we'll call him J) fell in an accident and fractured his neck. As of Tuesday night, he was paralyzed from C6 (if you feel the biggest bump on the back of your neck, that’s C6) down. He has already improved dramatically. The following is an incredible update from another friend:

“First, the injury was a compression of the spinal cord at C6 due to a C6 fracture. They immediately put him on steroids and repaired the C6 vertebrae and fused it to the C5 and C7. The worst case diagnosis is he remains in his current physical state but would be completely independent. That means he would be paralyzed from the waist down but would be able to drive, move about, have a family, etc. Best case scenario medically would be to regain 100% range of motion and 90% of leg strength. The doctors do not yet know the extent of the potential damage to the nerves because of the swelling. His paralysis could be a result of the swelling of the region or because there is nerve damage. It may take up to a year to determine how much of the paralysis is due to the swelling and how much is due to the injured nerves…

…He is in great spirits according to his father. All he could talk about yesterday was the new adventure he was going to undertake and how excited he was to be walking with the Lord in the journey. He looks forward to seeing how God is going to use this time in his life."

Let me just interject here.

"WHAT?! J! You are 22! You are supposed to graduate this month! You are active and outdoorsy and how are you not screaming at the unfairness of it all?!"

I know I would. I did, once, at least at first. When I was sixteen a horse accidentally kicked me in the face. I wore a neck brace for 24 hours while they were checking out my neck under the other injuries. I can honestly say that brace was significantly more awkward and uncomfortable (painful, actually) than the upteen shattered bones in my face. Also, my early thoughts were more about how weird I was going to look and how devastating it was to think that no one would ask me to homecoming than anything else.

Nine years later I still shiver when I think of that awful brace. Nothing was broken for me, but the compression was such that, combined with a nasty car accident, my neck dully aches all the time. My heart hurts to know what a long and painful road this will be for J, but Jesus himself said, “I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it would move. Nothing would be impossible.” (Matthew 17:20)

Nine years ago, when I laid recovering for a mere eight weeks, I did ask God to use this time in my life to work mightily. And He DID. I came out on the other side of that accident and 5 more surgeries a completely different girl. My husband kisses my scars and knows that I wouldn't be me if they weren't there.

My faith was mustard-seed sized. J's is already mountain-sized. Wow. This is going to be incredible to witness.

"His parents are doing well all things considered. Please keep them in your prayers. When I spoke to his mom, she wouldn't let me hang up without talking about how great God is and reminding me of scripture.”

I am just astounded. I, too, can't wait to see how God is going to use this time in this young man and his family's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers! Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are reviewed before publishing.