Thursday, February 11, 2010

Blog Hop...Biggest Romantic Screw Up

I can't believe I am about to share this.

It was the worst hour of my life.

Now, it is just hilarious.  And, it's perfect, because it happened on Valentines' Day!

Junior year of college.  Lenny and I had been dating for about 3 1/2 months, and had our first kiss about three weeks earlier.  (I know, I made him wait a long time.  I had a thing about no kisses unless I was certain I was in a lasting, committed relationship.  Just one of my things.)  I was living in an apartment in College Park with five other girls.  I'd actually had Young Life club that night, so I didn't get home until after 9.  When I got home, there was a note on my door that started a scavenger hunt around my apartment.  (Ok, I promise that Lenny does not only do scavenger hunts to be romantic!  The scavenger hunt for our engagement was a throwback to this night.)  It was really cute actually; it started with me having to push play on my CD player for a song called "Hide and Seek" by Matt Wertz.  I then went around the apartment finding little notes and gifts.  He was waiting for me in another roomie's bedroom.

We then ate the brownies I had made by candlelight in the kitchen.  Everything was going perfectly; a little too perfectly, I guess!  Meanwhile, my best friend was snuggling on the couch in the living room with her almost boyfriend.  (They actually defined the relationship that night and now they are married!)  Three times, other girls in the apartment came out of their rooms to get something, and proceeded to roll their eyes in the hallway before going back to their rooms.  (Who could blame them?  It was getting awfully lovey-dovey in the main part of the house.  I'd be peeved too.)  Lenny and I took the hint and decided to go for a drive.

Ready for things to go from a little awkward to SUPER HORRIBLY AWKWARD?

We drove around a little and he ended up pulling over the car in the parking lot of a nearby park.  We turned off the lights and just sat there chatting.  It was nice to have a little alone time.  We probably sat there chatting for at least 45 minutes.  Finally, it was getting late, so we knew we should head home.  We also needed- yes, needed- a goodnight kiss.  So, I leaned in and went for a nice long one.

That's when the car flooded with bright, white light.

I probably flew in the air like my cat does when he's sleeping comfortably in front of the back door and you drop something in the kitchen.  I instantly knew what was happening and wanted to crawl under the floorboards and die.  Literally die.  I had a little ring on my right hand and switched it to my left to make it look like we were married.  I have no idea why.  Just another of my strangenesses.

Lenny was frozen.  The tell-tale "rap-tap-tap" on the window sounds and Lenny rolls it down.

Officer:  What are you guys doing here?
Lenny:  Uhh...
Officer:  Do you know it's illegal to be parked here at night?
Lenny:  No, sir, we didn't...we were just about to leave.
Officer:  Can I see some ID please?  *walks away*
Me:  DYING OF MORTIFICATION
Officer:  *hands back the ID* You kids get out of here and don't let me see you back.  I could give you a $250 fine, you know. 
Lenny:  Certainly, sir, we're on our way.
Officer:  Happy Valentines' Day.

Moral of the story:  Don't ever park anywhere and make out. 

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:51 PM

    I'm still laughing about you switching your ring to your left hand! LOL! That sounds like something I would do ... not that this has EVER happened to me ... ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are reviewed before publishing.