Sunday, December 20, 2009

Time for School Lunches

When I worked in public school, I was horrified by the quality of school lunches. Time and again, kids with behavior problems would come to room during lunch to serve detentions laden with trays full of fries, chicken nuggets, slushy drinks, ketchup and chocolate milk. I might see an apple on a good day. What struck me was that many of these kids were a part of the Free and Reduced Meals program (a title I always found so ironic) and so they were eating the same kind of junk for breakfast. At home, they often weren't getting dinner.

Now, obviously, there were a million factors at play here influencing these kids' behavior. However, you absolutely can not deny that the food "nourishing" their bodies was of no help at all whatsoever. Seriously, slushy drinks? What on earth is MCPS thinking?

I stumbled across this site today and was very impressed with thoughts and ideas. Sign the petition!

1 comment:

I love hearing from my readers! Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are reviewed before publishing.